Buoyed by international and domestic tier one operators' transition to software-defined networks, ADTRAN reported record second-quarter sales of $184.7 million for the period that ended June 30, 2017.
By comparison, ADTRAN earned $162.7 million during the second quarter of 2016, marking an increase of 12%. Earnings were up 14% versus the first quarter of 2017. (See ADTRAN Reports Record Q1 Earnings.)
Network solutions revenue, including both domestic and international sales, reached $155.5 million, up 12% over the same period a year ago. Services and support revenue reached $29.1 million, representing 21% growth versus 12 months prior.
By the Numbers
When it came to regions, the quarter domestic markets earned $146.7 million (79% of total sales) and international business reached $38 million (21% of total). Year-over-year, domestic sales grew 10% and international sales increased 31%.
"Both numbers were driven by increasing demand for our ultra high-speed solutions," said Tom Stanton, ADTRAN chairman and CEO, in an earnings call Wednesday morning.
Within the network solutions segment, access and aggregation products reached total sales of $138.6 million (versus $102 million in 2Q 2016); customer devices fell to $33.8 million (from $40.9 million 12 months ago) and traditional and other devices dropped to $12 million (from about $20 million in the second quarter of 2016).
"I mentioned last quarter our efforts on a broad base of technologies including G.fast, NG-PON2, 10-gig PON, and of course our Mosaic cloud platform development," Stanton said. "These development efforts are targeted not only for expanding market share in our existing customer base but also enabling our expansion into adjacent markets. I'm glad to say in the second quarter we made progress on both fronts."
For example, during this quarter ADTRAN exited the G.fast and Mosaic technology trial and advanced into full deployment or production status with one tier one U.S. carrier, he said. It also began first deployments of the vendor's 10-gig Ethernet solution with a U.S. cable MSO and launched the first deployment of its XGS-PON solution using a virtualized optical line terminal (OLT), Stanton added. Named ADTRAN customers include Verizon, DT and nbn.
"This implantation utilized our software-defined Mosaic platform and as of today we have over 10 global tier one carriers who have either selected or are field-trialing Mosaic for deployment," he said.
— Alison Diana, Editor, UBB2020. Follow us on Twitter @UBB2020 or @alisoncdiana.